Pet Health Questions:
Are certain pets more likely to be obese?
Several factors make obesity more likely in pets. E.g. for dogs:
- Breed – certain breeds have a higher risk.
- Age – the risk increases with age.
- Neuter status – neutered dogs are more at risk.
- Sex – apart from older dogs, obesity is reported to be more common in females.
- Owner – obese owners may be more likely to have obese dogs, perhaps because they are less likely to exercise their dog, or less able to recognise obesity.
*Similar factors may also be associated with other animals.